- Zenoss, Inc.
- ZenPack name
Mail Transactions ZenPack
The ZenPack Catalog has moved to its new home at https://www.zenoss.com/product/zenpacks as of January 17, 2017. The following information may be out of date, and this page will eventually be removed.
This ZenPack is included with commercial versions of Zenoss and enterprise support for this ZenPack is provided to Zenoss customers with an active subscription.
The ZenPacks.zenoss.ZenMailTx ZenPack allows you to monitor round-trip email delivery.
There are several situations in which this ZenPack creates events. The component will be zenmailtx, the eventGroup will be mail and the eventClass will be /Status. These situations are:
- The SMTP server name or the POP server name cannot be resolved.
- The SMTP server or the POP server is down or unavailable.
- The timeout (specified on the Data Source tab) is exceeded for the SMTP or POP server.
- Authentication (if specified) with the SMTP or POP server fails.
- A threshold defined for one of the data points in this data source is exceeded. Thresholds are defined in the monitoring template that contains the data source.
Once an email has successfully made a trip back and forth, a clear event is created that clears any failure events.
|Product||Zenoss platform 4.x, Zenoss 2.2 or higher|
- Click the device in the device list.
- From the left panel, select the Device template under Monitoring Templates.
- Select Add Local Template from the Action menu.
- Enter an identifier for the template (such as ZenMailTx), and then click Submit to create the template.
- Click the newly created ZenMailTx template.
- In the Data Sources area, click Add to add a data source.
- Enter a name for the data source (MailTx), select MAILTX as the type, and then click Submit.
- Change options as needed.
Mail Transactions Basic Data Source Options Option Description To Address The recipient e-mail address. This should be the same as the POP Username. From Address The e-mail address that will appear in the From: field in the generated e-mail SMTP Host The e-mail server used by Zenoss platform to send the email POP Host The email server where you will retrieve your test message
Tip: Any of the MAILTX fields can take TAL expressions, including the password fields.
- Click to save your changes.
- Navigate to Graphs and you should see some place holders for graphs. After approximately fifteen minutes you should see the graphs begin populating with information.
Managing the Collector Daemon
The zenmailtx daemon:
- Sends the test email message via the specified SMTP server
- Retrieves the email message from the specified POP server
- Sends the following information to Zenoss platform:
- Time taken to send
- Time taken to fetch
- Total time
This daemon appears on the Zenoss platform Daemons page and can be started, stopped and restarted from there.
Normal Installation (packaged egg)
- Download the appropriate egg file for the version of Zenoss you are running.
- Ensure you are logged in as the zenoss user:
$ sudo su - zenoss
- Install the ZenPack:
$ zenpack --install ZenPacks.zenoss.ZenMailTx-*.egg
- Restart these services:
$ zenoss restart
New: Don't forget to add yourself to the Zenoss User Map!blog comments powered by Disqus