- Zenoss, Inc.
- ZenPack name
RANCID Integration ZenPack
The ZenPack Catalog has moved to its new home at https://www.zenoss.com/product/zenpacks as of January 17, 2017. The following information may be out of date, and this page will eventually be removed.
This ZenPack is included with commercial versions of Zenoss and enterprise support for this ZenPack is provided to Zenoss customers with an active subscription.
The ZenPacks.zenoss.RANCIDIntegrator ZenPack enables integration between the RANCID configuration management tool and Zenoss platform.
The integration points are:
- Zenoss platform will build the router.db file for RANCID. This allows for the centralization of administration activities and reduces the duplication of effort normally required to maintain the two tools.
- Implementation of this feature is as easy as adding a cron job to execute $ZENHOME/bin/zenrancid to update the router.db file.
- Zenoss platform will automatically run RANCID's rancid-runm tool on a single device in response to a ciscoConfigManEvent SNMP trap being sent from the device to Zenoss platform. Cisco devices will send this trap whenever their configuration is changed. This allows for real-time capturing of router configuration changes in your CVS repository.
Note: The RANCID integrator is dependent on a connection to the Zope server, hence it can run only on the Zenoss platform master and as such works only with managed resources on the master.
|Product||Zenoss platform 4.x, Zenoss 2.2 or higher|
Configure Cisco Devices to Send Traps
To implement this feature you must configure your Cisco devices to send their SNMP traps to the Zenoss platform server.
Link from Cisco device status pages to the most recent configuration stored in your CVS repository via viewvc.
Configure RANCID Update Information in Zenoss platform
- From Infrastructure >Devices, click the device in the device list.
- Select Configuration Properties in the left panel.
- Edit the appropriate configuration properties for the device.
RANCID Configuration Properties Name Description zRancidRoot File system directory where RANCID is installed. It may be NFS mounted from the RANCID server. Default is /opt/rancid zRancidUrl Base URL to viewvc zRancidGroup RANCID group attribute. Controls what router.db file the device is written to. Can be set at the device class or device level. Default is router on the /Network/Router/Cisco class zRancidType RANCID type attribute. Controls what device type is written to the router.db file. Can be set at the device class or device level. Default is cisco on the /Network/Router/Cisco
- Click to save your changes.
Normal Installation (packaged egg)
- Download the appropriate egg file for the version of Zenoss you are running.
- Ensure you are logged in as the zenoss user:
$ sudo su - zenoss
- Install the ZenPack:
$ zenpack --install ZenPacks.zenoss.RANCIDIntegrator-*.egg
- Restart these services:
$ zenoss restart
New: Don't forget to add yourself to the Zenoss User Map!blog comments powered by Disqus