Add a Device
Manually Adding a Device in Zenoss is one of the first things a new Zenoss Admin will do.
Adding the Device
- Go to the Infrastructure tab, and click on the Add a Device icon, which looks like a computer with a plus in it, and select Add a Single Device.
- You'll be presented with a window allowing you to tell Zenoss about some aspects of the device Zenoss needs to know to model it. I suggest filling out at a minimum the IP Address, Name, and place it in a sane spot in your Device Class. Uncheck Model Device and click Add.
- You will see a Devices tree to the left, which is hierarchical, and matches up to the Device Class you saw when you added the device. Zenoss is not like a traditional monitoring system in this aspect. We don't have you simply type up a list of stuff you want us to monitor for each device, and then ping, poll etc. based on that list. Zenoss uses the hierarchy to create models for each type of device, and devices are added to this hierarchy after creation by dragging the device to the spot in the tree appropriate to the device. These models are extensible with Zenpacks.
Configuration properties are also inherited via the Device tree. Zenoss does not use agents, so to add a Linux box which is monitored by SSH, as we've done in the example video, we need a username and a password on the box to log in via ssh.
- Go to Devices>Servers>SSH in the Device Tree and select Details above.
- From the menu on the right select Configuration Properties.
- In the grid to the right type Command. Select zCommandUsername by double-clicking on it, and enter a username.
- Similarly, select zCommandPassword and enter a password.
Modeling the Device
Now return to your device in the tree.
- click on the Gear Icon, and select Model Device from the menu.
Once the device modeler shuts down, close the window, and Zenoss will refresh, and your device will be monitored. Assuming a similar SSH account occurs on every machine of the same type, you can simply add those machines to the tree and model them rapidly. The heavy lifting is already done.